Saturday, May 9, 2015

May 2015 Commandant's Corner

May will be a busy month for the Detachment with the primary subject being the Golf Tournament. Carl Kulyk and his staff have spent many hours in preparation for the BIGGEST FUND RAISER we will experience this year.  All the necessary details (some small but mostly big) have so far been taken care of by a few hands.  WE NEED MANY HANDS.

Remember, I mentioned before you do not need to be a golfer to assist in accomplishing the many tasks that need to be accomplished.  You do not need to be a golfer to assist people, set up tables/chairs, sell tickets, and making yourself available to do that which needs to be done.

For those members in the Detachment who have not yet committed themselves to assist in this effort, please do so right after you read this newsletter.  You can do so by signing up on the roster for a time slot.  If you are unfamiliar with the procedures to sign up, please contact your Fire Team Leader or any Detachment Officer (including me) and ask for assistance.  To make this Golf Tournament a success we All NEED TO DO OUR PART.

As some of you know we had the opportunity to participate in raising and lowering the flag at the Breast Cancer ceremony that was conducted by the students and faculty at Dixie University on Friday 24 April.  We had only eight members in attendance but we did a great job.  Gordon Farr was assigned the task of tying the lanyards to the metal pole.  There was a small problem - there was no securing hook, it had become so rusted that when the lanyards hit it, off it went onto the ground.  As Gordon held the lanyards with all his strength (for the wind was blowing the flag every which way) he whispered "what shall we do."  He was informed to hold the lanyards tight for the next 30 minutes and someone would be sent out to relieve him.  His expression was priceless.  But, he had nothing to fear, the ingenuity of his fellow Marines kicked in and an immediate search for "the farmer's friend" was launched.  Within a few minutes someone had located a roll of "DUCT TAPE."  After wrapping the lanyards to the pole a dozen times, everyone was convinced that it would hold until the next day when we would return to take the flag down.  We returned properly prepared with BOX CUTTERS.

Semper Fi
D'Arcy Grisier, Commandant